The Briefing Note, titled ‘Coordinating for impact: Aligning Agenda 2063 and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development with the National Development Plan’s cycle of development’ explores alignment between national, continental and global development agendas. South Africa’s National Development Plan’s (NDP) cycle of development is taken as point of reference for the Briefing Note’s alignment proposal.
In addition to showing NDP alignment with the African Union’s Agenda 2063 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Briefing Note highlights five emerging lessons:
- Significant alignment between the development agendas on goal and target level.
- The possibility of sequencing rather than prioritising targets.
- The distribution of Agenda 2063 and SDG target across the NDP’s cycle of development.
- The enabling role of environmental sustainability.
- The cross-cutting importance of economic growth and STI.