The South African SDG Hub at the University of Pretoria (UP) is calling for qualified persons interested in interlinkages between the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to apply for a Postdoctoral Fellowship.
The South African SDG Hub (www.SASDGHub.org) supports the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by enabling access to relevant, useful and reliable South African research and innovation through virtual and face-to-face platforms. The South African SDG Hub is hosted by the University of Pretoria (UP), one of Africa’s premier research-intensive universities.
The Department of Science and Technology (DST) is partnering with the South African SDG Hub to consolidate its position as the premier national platform for collecting and disseminating South African SDG-relevant research and innovation.
It builds on the South African SDG Hub’s existing successes, including its online platform (www.SASDGHub.org), its important multi-stakeholder publicationon the SDGs and its contribution to SDG capacity building South Africa’s first Master’s in Development Practice, delivered in collaboration with the Global Association of Master’s in Development Practicebased at Columbia University in New York City, United States.
Postdoctoral researchers will support the work of the South African SDG Hub by focussing on the following:
- Research on SDG interlinkages. This includes providing methodological input, producing at least two publishable peer-reviewed article manuscripts per year and attending relevant conferences.
- Policy briefs on SDG interlinkages. This includes producing two policy briefs on SDG interlinkages per year, as per the Department of Science and Technology’s prescribed format. Postdoctoral researchers will also be required to attend meetings and public events on the SDGs.
- Logistical and administrative support. Postdoctoral researchers will support network-building, fundraising, media or other operational functions of the South African SDG Hub.
The SDG Postdoctoral Fellowships are available to any candidate based in South Africa who qualifies based on the following conditions:
- Must have completed a doctorate.
- Must have attained their doctorate no more than five years prior to their appointment as postdoctoral fellows.
- Must be a young researcher (generally up to 40 years of age).
- Must have a PhD in a relevant field.
- Candidates with proven interest in the Sustainable Development Goals will have an added advantage.
- Evidence of active research and publications in peer-reviewed journals will also be an added advantage.
The Postdoctoral Fellowship consists of a tax-free bursary of R350 000 per year and the fellowship will run for one year, with the possibility of an extension.
Your application should include a full Curriculum Vitae, three referees with contact details (one of whom must have been a mentor or supervisor of the doctorate), and a 300-word motivation.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enquiries should be sent to Prof Willem Fourie (Co-ordinator: South African SDG Hub) at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 5 April 2019